Tuesday 16 August 2011

A visit to the Sculpture Park at Lake Vyrnwy

Mum and I took a little visit to Lake Vyrnwy yesterday (9th August, still struggling to get internet access) and although I didn’t know that it was there I quite enjoyed our stroll around their Sculpture Park. It was started by a local artist, Andy Hancock and contains dozens of wooden carved sculptures. The sculptures are all created by individual sculptors from as far afield as Australia. We were surprised how many sculptures were created by people from Latvia and Estonia. In addition to the Park itself there are other sculptures around the lake. We really liked the the enormous picnic benches in the shape of leaves and trees on the west side of the lake.

Following a little more research I found out that near the Old Village on the beach is a sculpture of dolphins, which when the lake rises in a flood, give the impression that they are jumping out of the water. Several totems can also be seen carved into standing trees, many others have been carved from fallen trunks and re-erected.

P1040407 P1040408

P1040409

P1040410

P1040413

P1040419

P1040418

P1040443
P1040442  

In addition to visiting all of these sculptures I really enjoyed a mooch around the craft shop at Lake Vyrnwy. It gave me some more ideas for things that I could do myself…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...